Wednesday 1 August 2018

Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi

Some controversy here... OK, as much as I dislike the new Star Wars movies I must confess that I rather liked what happened to Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi... I even pre-ordered the Hot Toys figure and will also buy the Force Projection version... Here's why:

I'm a fan of The Clone Wars cartoon. Anakin Skywalker is awesome! He fights in absolutely tons of battles. Against robots, against Sith Assassins. He's strong and serious and resolute and a bit of a maverick Jedi. Kenobi mentors him for MANY years.

What did Luke do by comparison? Not much...

It isn't surprising that Luke couldn't single handedly re-create the Jedi Academy. He never went to the Academy himself. Kenobi and Yoda were his only role models. Luke didn't get a lot of training/experience as a Jedi because he was too eager to save the day.

I love Luke Skywalker's journey from farmboy to Jedi Knight in the Original Trilogy but I don't actually like Luke. He's pretty whiny. He's impatient. He's arrogant. His failure as a Master Jedi is a satisfying end to his journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.